How Not To Extend a Job Offer
In all these past months, I have come to realize that I have had such unique experiences while dealing with various job interviews, processes, conversations et al. I am sure you all have too! I would love to hear from you how your experiences molded you as a person.
Let’s talk about InterPhew #44. This was during last year July-August 2020. One of my colleagues in my last organization had worked there before, and she referred me to a Senior VP. We are talking about a travel technology company. So, I received the call from HR, and things went forward.
Since we were in the middle of the first wave of the pandemic, all the rounds were via video conferencing. There was a total of 4 rounds – 1. Preliminary HR round, 2. Hiring Manager round 3. Associate Vice President round, 4. Senior VP round and lastly the happy call, that I made it! I got a final call from the HR recruiter saying that I am through, I have been selected. I was elated! I had made it, I was finally going to be working at a company doing what I do best, talking to clients ensuring that they are successfully extending their business using our solution!
My job search experience has been nothing short of an epic novel with loads of twists and turns thrown in. You will soon find out why.
You might have noticed, how I mentioned above how I got a call from HR. I, in turn, asked what were the next steps, where do I sign the dotted line? She sent me an email with the big bold lines – We are happy to let you know that you have been selected for the role of …… at ……
I was requested to share all my personal documents such as my Aadhaar card, PAN card, educational certificates, last employer's salary slips, relieving and offer letters of past employers, and I happily shared them at the earliest. I was also asked to share the contact details of two of my previous managers, as well as two peers. Again, shared it all.
I received a call from my would-be manager. He introduced himself and told me how excited he was to have me on board. He informed me about the other team members, what the functions are like, and how we would probably meet up every Friday in the office as a team to regroup and strategize for the coming weeks.
Then came the absolute doozy. I received a call, not an email, not a formal communication, but a casual call from HR. "Hey M, we suddenly realized that we won’t be able to extend this offer to you because this position has gone on hold, and we are undergoing some internal restructuring. Hence, we will be rescinding your offer. Sorry!"
That’s it.
Just that.
No other communication.
I must have probably blacked out for a second. It felt like a blow to my stomach.
You must realize, how difficult hearing this was for me. I was absolutely confident that my career break was finally over, I had cracked the interview, that I was finally going to be able to work, something which I had been doing for the last 10 years. That wasn’t meant to be. As everyone may be well aware, that I shared personal and sensitive documents with this organization and now I was worried that they should not be misused.
It is one thing to assess oneself and understand their fallacies while appearing for interviews. I am self-aware enough to know that whether I was good at the interview, or whether I absolutely fumbled through. It is a totally different thing, when the entire hiring panel, from the HR rep to the hiring manager, to the Associate Vice President, to the Senior Vice President, all wax eloquent about you.
I was assured by everyone I interviewed with, that I was the top candidate for this role. In fact, I got a call from the AVP, who had interviewed me earlier, who said that everyone loved my profile, the SVP was "floored", and in case I didn't get this role, he would secure me for another role and that they do not want to lose me. I also received a call from the hiring manager, to apprise me of the timings, my joining date, the various members of the team, how we would be required to come in to work one day a week from now, as well as to fix up a time to show me the ropes once I receive the IT assets.
Hence, I fail to understand how the hiring panel did a 180 after all these positive discussions.
We are living in highly volatile and difficult times. All of us. As individuals, striving to secure a job, as well as companies struggling to stay afloat in the worst recessions the world has ever seen.
I would have truly appreciated it if the hiring panel in this organization had been transparent about giving precedence to internal employees. I would, in fact, have respected the company and its employees even more for this ethical stand, to stand by with their employees.
However, to raise my expectations, assuring me that I have got the job, sending me the CTC and the offer letter, and then rescinding the offer is not professional at all.
As a final word, I hope that this company does not let the next candidate go through the same ordeal as me.
Side note – I had another epiphany. Have you ever thought, the job search is basically looking for your soulmate, or at the very least a person you can commit to a considerable number of years? And your job interview process starts just the way when you start dating someone.
You find each other online. Either you swipe right, or they do. It’s a match! You get a call, you talk. You both try to create the best impression of yourself. The recruiter (aka your prospective future) waxes eloquent about the company, how they are a Great Place to Work, how you will be taken care of, the perks. You on your end, try to amplify your best features aka your passion, your willingness, your commitment. You both try to sound confident to each other, forever evaluating each other, trying to think of an answer to their next question while will impress the other person more and trying to think whether this is all worth the second date (aka second round of interview).
The second date is set. You both are more confident (i.e. the 2nd round of interviewers heard about your positive feedback), the conversations are easier but don’t drop the ball. You are still evaluating each other. If you miss out on a few pertinent questions, you have missed out on impressing your date (aka your prospect company).
The job hunt also includes the anguish of waiting for their call back. Why have they not called back? Oh my God, did they notice the spinach in my teeth (read, the proverbial verbal slip-up)? I shouldn’t have ordered that double cheeseburger (read, been too friendly and comfortable with them on the call) … Why haven’t they texted me, the least they could do is tell me they had a good time (read, a follow-up email letting me know you did well in that round and they will be in touch regarding the next steps). It is how it is!
I would love to hear from you in the comments below. Have you had any such experiences in your search for a job or a career opportunity? Let’s discuss!
Comments
Post a Comment